Thursday, November 8, 2012

Baby Step

I did it!

For those of you who know me well, one of my biggest issues with RJC is feeling comfortable when she is...well...not with me.  I am well aware that this is a problem, especially as she is becoming an adult and independence is a key component to adulthood.  Even if that is independence is limited, it should be encouraged.  See?  I know this.  The problem is in the execution.

Today however was a baby step forward.  I was talking to RJC's caseworker - one of my favorite people in the world - and mentioned that I'd like to sign her up for a "Weekend in the Country."   It's a program through a camp I am very familiar with since my younger one worked there one summer.  Well he was right on that and within half an hour she was signed up.  End of January.  Yikes. 

Nope I haven't mentioned this to RJC and won't until a few days before.  No sense in both of our anxiety levels rising.  Besides that, on a selfish note I'd rather avoid the constant scripting and obsessing that will come along with hearing the news of her exciting weekend.

This is tough stuff.  I have so much hope that it is a successful weekend and she enjoys herself enough to want to go back.  I hope she doesn't feel abandoned but rather feels like it's a big deal to be on her own.  It's a step toward independence for RJC and a leap of faith and trust for me.  Baby step indeed...but it's a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment