Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Another Day, Another Program Visit

I went to visit another potential program for RJC a few days ago and am still trying to process all that I saw.  This was a large program with quite a few facets to it - a paid work program as well as a day program that is more recreationally based.  I had a meeting with the Directors of both programs first.  I've come to the conclusion that it's difficult to hear their words and then reconcile to what one actually sees in action.  For sure, whatever program RJC ends up in is one that I will have visited more than once.  It's just that overwhelming.

This particular program was going through a "transition" (I believe this is a code word for change in personnel who has a different philosophy than the previous person in this positition).  I did have a good feeling about both of the Directors I spoke with - they seemed committed and caring - so that was a bonus. 

Walking around the program I had feelings all over the spectrum (pun definitely intended.  Get it?)  On the one hand I saw staff who were engaged in whatever activity was going on and they were friendly and open to having conversation.  I did not see any out of control behaviors by staff or clients and the place was clean.  On the other hand, I did see clients who seemed less than enthused.  I also saw quite a few older clients and not many of them were engaged in social activities.  Some were quite involved in solitary activities.  I did not see any staff trying to engage those who were choosing not to participate.  How do I gauge the quality of a program such as this?  Trying to picture RJC there...I wasn't feeling it.  Yet I could not put my finger on the problem.

There was one moment where I saw something that I thought could be done differently and started to offer my opinion...with some detail and passion.  Oops.  It was not exactly negatively received but I can't say they said, "Wow, good point!  We should relook at this issue."  Hmmm...maybe this was part of the problem for me.  I'd like to think that any program RJC goes to is one that is open to suggestions.

All I know is...I didn't run out of there pulling out my hair, nor did I leave there feeling reassured and thinking that I found the place for RJC.  This is going to be an ongoing process I know, yet I keep hoping that something wonderful is just beyond the door I'm about to walk through.  So far...not quite the case.

More visits to come.  This is becoming my other full-time job.  Another day, another program visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment