Thursday, May 3, 2018

Drowning in Paperwork

The title says it all.


I've been in the middle of a paperwork mess related to RJC. Basically some department did not do their job and (in the words of the employee I was speaking to) "dropped the ball" so I have had to gather a ridiculous amount of personal information, copy it all, and complete various other forms. Last night I found the last piece of needed information, copied it, and added it to the box where I was keeping all of the documentation.


The idea of mailing, faxing, or scanning this personal information felt too risky and much too cumbersome so I called and spoke with Miss Employee to ask if I could drop if off in person. This was my mission this morning.  This also means that I had to change RJC's morning routine in order to get there when it first opened.  As with any government agency I knew it would be a hopping place.


RJC was amazingly cooperative. It probably helped that I told her we could go to Dunkin' Donuts. I am not above bribery at 7:30 a.m. We got into the car with the treasured box and off we went. I pulled in at about 8:20 a.m. and the big lot was full. I called to let Miss Employee know I was there and she gave me instructions to come inside, find the State Trooper and she would see me.


We went in - or tried to. The line was literally out the door. I was peeking between the bodies to see the layout of the room and where this State Trooper was that I was supposed to find. Between the bodies, all I could see was a very large room, a counter, and a few scattered lucky people already sitting in the waiting area. I heard conversation around me as people were trying to figure out if there was more than one person working behind the counter. RJC was patiently holding my hand and asking if it was time for donuts. I asked the man in front of me if he minded if I tried to scoot inside because I had an appointment. He looked at me somewhat warily, and offering no encouragement, said "Sure, but I don't know what good it will do." He actually was helpful in spotting another door so we went in.


I saw the State Trooper up in the front of the room, sitting at a desk on the side so we headed over. Alas, a Security Guard at a desk in the back of the room where we had just entered called me over. He wanted to know where I was going so I explained that I was there to meet Miss Employee and she told me to go to the State Trooper. He wanted to know who this employee was and where she worked. That threw me. I was in a government agency building and assumed that all the employees worked for this same agency. I didn't want to sound rude so I skipped over the "where does she work" part and gave him her name. He asked if I had a phone number for her and since I had called it a few times I rattled off the number by memory. All the while I'm looking at the State Trooper and thinking of how desperately I wanted to just walk away and hand him the doggone box.


He picks up the phone and I now see a lady standing next to the State Trooper and looking around. I alert Security Guard to this fact. She spots me, RJC, the box, and Security Guard at just about the same time. We are now all walking toward each other to meet in the middle when Security Guard puts out his arm in a "halt" sort of motion. He continues a few steps to meet with
Miss Employee privately first, they have a few words, and now we are allowed to continue. I hand her the box, introduce her to RJC and in about three seconds she and the box are gone.


It was somewhat anticlimactic. I thought maybe we'd have a few nice words. She would tell me she understands that this was time consuming and appreciates the effort I must have gone through. Nope. Literally, she said "hi" and moved on with her day, taking my box with her.


RJC and I move on with our day as well. We stop at Dunkin' for her cherished donut (which she does not actually eat - just licks the frosting and tosses the rest) and I still manage to get her to her program on time. I also manage to get to work on time. This was after weeks of stressing over digging up the correct information and duplicating it and it seemed as though something big should have happened. I mean, really? A parade would have been appropriate. Instead, it was a few minutes of chaos punctuated by a quick grab and run of the box. Sigh.


I wonder if Miss Employee and I will meet again. I am so hoping that is not the case, but I am not counting on it. Certainly I will be updating as this issue moves forward. Any and all positive thoughts our way are welcome. There are only so many mornings like this I can handle. Luckily Dunkin' also has coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment