Thursday, May 7, 2015

An "Aw" Moment

RJC has her sleep routine at night and her wake up routine in the morning. 


At night, she showers, plays on her iPad, I brush her teeth, she gets a drink from the kitchen and we go to her room.  Together we say the first line of the Shema prayer in Hebrew (translates to:  Hear, O Israel, the L-rd is our G-d, the L-rd is One).  Then:
RJC:  Goodnight mommy.
Me:  Goodnight RJC.
RJC: Goodnight mommy.
Me:  Goodnight RJC.
RJC:  Thank you for the two times for mommy.
Me:  You're welcome RJC.


Monday through Friday, in the morning, she will generally come in to bed with me once my husband is awake and moving.   She will either hold my arm like it's a stuffed animal, take hold of my hand, or if I'm on my side facing away from her she will pat my back.  It feels like she is making sure I'm really there.


Yesterday she had a very busy day and between her sleeping pill and the outdoor activity she must have been very tired.  After she had her drink she went to her room but didn't wait for me.  I went in just a few minutes later and she was asleep.  This morning, she came into bed with me, took my hand and said, "Say Shema with mommy?"  Oh my gosh, it was the sweetest thing ever.  We said Shema together, she was satisfied, and fell back to sleep.


There are lots of worries that come with having a child that will not be growing into an independent adult.  I've mentioned them before - feel free to go back and read some old blogs.  Today, though, it's about the beauty.  The simple request to say a prayer with mom - whether or not she knows it's a prayer is not the point - it's that she feels something when she says it.  And she wants to say it with mom.  And when she doesn't, she misses it. 


It was an "aw" moment. 

1 comment:

  1. And isn't that exactly what a prayer is?... A feeling that your loved.

    ReplyDelete